Summer Diet Tips
Summer is fun because you can work on your tan and go swimming to your heart’s content. Family and friends come together for memorable outdoor activities.
Vacations start! You can take in your town’s local attractions, or jet set to exotic locations to create sweet memories.
But summer also brings with it , problems like dehydration, sun stroke, flu etc…
So, how to enjoy this summer without worrying about these ill effects?
Here are some easy to follow tips for you.
- Eat fruits that help you help you either stay hydrated like watermelon and musk melon or give you instant energy like bananas and apples.
- Drink plenty of water and fresh juices to stay hydrated, but avoid aerated drinks and canned juices
- Drink green tea as opposed to masala chai because it speeds up the metabolism. You can have lassi, buttermilk and coconut water frequently.
- Avoid fried food as eating excessive fat leads to lethargy, as it slows down the digestive process, it also affects the skin qualities negatively.
- Reduce the amount of tea and coffee intake. Being a diuretic, too much tea and coffee can increase urination which may lead to water loss and dryness of skin.
- One must eat cold foods such as yogurt, watermelon, and berries. Such foods are low in calories and requires very little energy for digestion.
- Add purple cabbage in your diet.
Purple cabbage contains a powerful antioxidant called Anthocyanins that are responsible for it’s beautiful colour, boosts immunity. Use it in salads or smoothies.
- All essential nutrients are much required in the summer months , particularly the minerals that are lost in sweat.
- It is possible to replenish these micronutrients only if the diet includes varied food groups such as fruits, vegetables, milk cereals and pulses.
- Walnut is good for UV rays protection, specially for hair care.
- Add herbs, edible flowers and other spices to your water. Infused waters are very helpful to stay hydrated. You can try these.
- Rose water as it is soothing for body due to its cooling properties.
- Cardamom and cumin water.
- Saffron and lemon water.
Try to avoid eating….
- Fried and junk foods
- Non-veg like meat, chicken, .
- Canned juices and aerated drinks
- Too much tea and coffee
- Too much spices like chilly and cinnamon as they are hot by nature.
Good foods for summer…
- Watery fruits like Watermelon, Muskmelon,
- Energy fruits like apple, banana,
- Green salads specially purple cabbage
- Curd, buttermilk
- Coconut water
- Green leafy vegetables, onions.
- Green tea and infused waters
Stay cool, stay hydrated and enjoy this summer like never before.