World Hemophilia Day – Diet & Care
Hemophilia is a condition in which the blood does not clot properly, leading to excessive bleeding and hemorrhage , which can be fatal in some cases.
There are over 16000 hemophiliac patients in india ( actual figure must be very bigger ) of which, 6000 hemophiliac patients in Gujarat alone, and more than 4,00,000 around the globe.
There are two major types of hemophilia ( type A and type B). In type A, there is lack of clotting factor viii. In type B, also known as ‘ Christmas’ disease, there is lack of clotting factor IX.
Dietary guidelines in hemophiliac patients;
It requires high protein diet. Whole grain , like oats and brown rice, and whole grain breads can help curb your appetite and stabilize your blood sugar.
Take more food list ;
- Fruits – vegetables ( dark, leafy green )
- Broccoli and sweet potatoes
- Choose a lean protein source like fish, chicken, turkey , eggs
- Beans, nuts or tofu
- Oats, brown bread, brown rice and seafood twice a week.
Stop or avoid food list ;
- Juice, soft drinks, energy drinks, sweetened tea
- Heavy gravies and sauces
- Butter, full fatty dairy products and candy.
Care & tips ;
- Regular exercise
- Avoiding certain medication like aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and heparin, which are blood thinners ( under observation of your doctor )
- Practicing good dental hygiene and regular dental checkups.